News Release Archive | haiti | Accuracy.Org

Haiti, Three Years After Earthquake: Building Back Better Requires Local Participation


In an editorial today titled “Three years since Haiti earthquake: Learning the art of listening,” The Christian Science Monitor writes: “The third anniversary of Haiti’s devastating earthquake on Jan. 12, 2010, has not drawn much attention. This is despite the fact that one out of every two Americans donated money to the relief and thousands of people from around the world volunteered to rebuild the Caribbean nation. The reason is that the hope of ‘rebuilding Haiti better’ after this particularly big natural disaster is, well, still largely a hope. The obstacles of reconstructing a new Haiti have proved steep — such as ineffective government, powerful elites, not to mention hurricanes since then. Billions in aid has flowed in. Yet, to cite just one example of slow progress, more than 350,000 people are still living in tents.”

The following human rights advocates emphasize that “building back better” requires investing in the rule of law and including Haitians at all stages of rebuilding:

MARIO JOSEPH, [email]. (in Haiti, speaks French and Creole)
Widely regarded as Haiti’s most prominent human rights lawyer and managing attorney of the Bureau des Avocats Internationaux, Joseph has led several successful initiatives to make Haiti’s justice system more fair and effective since the earthquake. He noted that: “We have seen tremendous progress in the justice system’s ability and willingness to respond to gender-based violence since the earthquake. Our office had trials in seven rape cases in 2012, and all resulted in convictions. These cases worked because grassroots women’s groups made them work. Poor women and girl victims of rape are some of the most marginalized in the world, but they were able to work within a challenged justice system to enforce their own rights. This is what building back better looks like.”

BEATRICE LINDSTROM, [email], (in Haiti, speaks English and French)
Staff attorney with Institute for Justice & Democracy, Lindstrom said today from Port-au-Prince: “The last three years demonstrate that fundamental improvements in Haiti are achievable, but only if Haitians are involved at all stages and the building is done on the foundation of law and justice.

“Housing and cholera are two examples of areas where a failure to invest in the rule of law and to involve Haitians has resulted in slow, and even deadly progress. Instead of using available legal procedures to target the land tenure issues underlying the housing crisis, the international community and Haitian government have targeted IDP [internal displaced person] camp residents through illegal evictions and short term payoffs, without providing viable housing for displaced families. Instead of accepting legal responsibility for its negligent actions in bringing cholera to the island and providing the clean water and sanitation infrastructure necessary to stop the cholera’s killing, the UN denies the facts established by the scientific community, including the UN’s own experts, while 8,000 Haitians died.”

BRIAN CONCANNON, [email], (in U.S., speaks English, French and Creole)
Director of IJDH, Concannon said today: “These are band-aid solutions to a fundamental problem. The problem of IDP camps sitting where journalists will see them is being solved, the problem of earthquake survivors without homes is not.”

Cholera in Haiti: Responsibility and Resurgence

AP is reporting this afternoon: “The United Nations says Haiti has seen a jump in the number of cholera cases as the rainy season begins. The UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs says in a bulletin released Tuesday that the new cholera cases were found in western Haiti.”

On Monday The New York Times featured a piece noting that in the last 17 months “cholera has killed more than 7,050 Haitians and sickened more than 531,000, or 5 percent of the population. Lightning fast and virulent, it spread from here through every Haitian state, erupting into the world’s largest cholera epidemic despite a huge international mobilization still dealing with the effects of the Jan. 12, 2010, earthquake. The world rallied to confront cholera, too, but the mission was muddled by the United Nations’ apparent role in igniting the epidemic and its unwillingness to acknowledge it. …”

See the new six-minute minidocumentary “Cholera in Haiti.”

MARIO JOSEPH, BRIAN CONCANNON, brian at ijdh.org
Joseph and Concannon manage affiliated groups in Haiti and the U.S. that have been noting the UN failure regarding cholera since shortly after the outbreak, and they are now sounding the alarm that criticism is being limited to the outbreak. “Haiti’s cholera epidemic is not simply an unfortunate accident followed by bungling by the international community” said Joseph, managing attorney for the Bureau des Avocats Internationaux in Haiti, the lead attorney for the cholera victims in their suit against the UN. “It is a failure by the UN to obey the law in maintaining its sewage treatment, followed by a refusal to bear the clear legal responsibility for its law-breaking. This is a textbook example of the dangers of impunity. Only an institution with no fear of consequences could have acted so recklessly with such dangerous bacteria.”

“The UN’s excuse for standing by while cholera victims die — that other factors caused the cholera introduced by the UN to spread throughout Haiti — would be laughed out of court, except that the UN makes sure that it is never brought to any court for the wrongful acts of its missions,” said Concannon, director of the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti, which also represents the cholera victims. “The UN’s holding itself above the law deeply subverts its mission of promoting the rule of law, in Haiti and throughout the world.” (Joseph, who is in Haiti, may be available for a limited number of interviews via Concannon.)

MARK WEISBROT, via Dan Beeton, beeton at cepr.net
Weisbrot is co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, which put out a statement today warning “Cholera infections are rising again with rainy weather in Haiti in a predictable seasonal shift, and the international community must act quickly to contain the epidemic.” The group cited Monday’s New York Times report about “how cholera resurged during the 2011 rainy season after NGOs pulled back their treatment and prevention efforts during the dry season months.”

“Part of cholera prevention is ensuring access to clean water and sanitation,” Weisbrot said. “But as everyone knows, Haiti’s internally displaced persons — among many others — are a long way from having access to these necessities. In many camps there is no money going to empty latrines, going on months now. Sanitation does not exist in such situations — but disease thrives.”

Earlier this month, Bill Clinton, UN Special Envoy to Haiti, finally began acknowledging the UN role in cholera in Haiti. “Clinton: UN Soldier Brought Cholera to Haiti.”

Haiti: “Would Kill Aristide” Says Presidential Candidate Martelly in Video

MARK WEISBROT, via Dan Beeton
Co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, Weisbrot has been been involved in Haiti policy work for over 20 years. He has co-authored two papers analyzing the outcome of the first round of Haiti’s elections and several op-eds and columns on the elections and Aristide’s return.

He said today: “Haiti is preparing for the second round of presidential elections on Sunday, following a widely criticized first round in November in which the most popular party, Fanmi Lavalas, was banned from the ballot and in which only 23 percent of registered voters participated. As a result of U.S. and international pressure to overturn the results of the election, the contest will now be between two right-wing candidates: former first lady Mirlande Manigat, and kompas music singer Michel ‘Sweet Micky’ Martelly. Both Manigat, who received votes from 6.4 percent of registered voters in the first round and Martelly, who received 4.5 percent of registered voters’ ballots, support reviving the Haitian army, which former president Jean-Bertrand Aristide disbanded in a popular move in 1995 and which historically was responsible for a great deal of human rights violations in Haiti.

“Aristide’s return after seven years in forced exile is an historic victory for democracy in the hemisphere. The United States, which destroyed Haiti’s economy in order to overthrow his government in 2004, naturally opposes his return — just as they opposed the return of President Zelaya in 2009 to Honduras, after his democratic government was overthrown by the military. Washington manipulated the OAS [Organization of American States] and forced Haiti to have a presidential runoff election between two right-wing candidates, who would help them keep Aristide out of Haiti after Sunday’s vote. That is why he has to come back now. It is a new era in the Western Hemisphere, and Washington does not get to pick other countries’ leaders. The Obama administration will have to learn to accept this reality.”

KIM IVES
Ives is in Haiti to cover Aristide’s return and the Sunday elections. He just wrote a piece entitled “Haiti Wants Aristide: Let Him Go,” which states: “Aristide first came to power 20 years ago as the champion of the people’s uprising against the Duvalier dictatorship and the neo-Duvalierist juntas that followed its February 7, 1986 fall. Seven months after his inauguration, President Aristide was overthrown by a U.S.-backed neo-Duvalierist military putsch on September 30, 1991. ‘Sweet Micky’ was one of the principal cheerleaders of this three-year coup, which claimed some 5,000 lives, according to Amnesty International.

“In the years following Aristide’s restoration to power in 1994, Martelly became obsessed with hatred for the man. In a video from not too long ago, which can be seen on YouTube, the candidate threatens a patron in a bar where he has performed. ‘All those shits were Aristide’s faggots,’ he says. ‘I would kill Aristide to stick a dick up your ass.’ … [Video]

“Manigat is not much better. She is the wife, and many say the proxy, of former Haitian President Leslie Manigat. He was a perennial rightwing candidate who came to power in a 1988 election that was run and rigged by a neo-Duvalierist military junta.”

MELINDA MILES, Skype: melindayiti
Miles is director of the Let Haiti Live Project at TransAfrica Forum. She is in Haiti and will observe events during the Sunday elections. She said today: “Only 14 months after the devastating earthquake, Haiti’s sovereignty is seriously compromised by the presence of thousands of foreign troops and an Interim Recovery Commission that gives foreigners equal voice to Haitians in deciding reconstruction contracts. At this critical moment, Haiti needs a real democratic process to allow the people to express their will. However, despite the fact that first round of elections in November was highly fraudulent, marked by massive disenfranchisement and low voter participation, electoral authorities are moving forward towards a second round this Sunday.

“Due to intense international pressure, particularly from the United States and the Organization of American States, the provisional electoral council changed its initial first round results leaving Haitians to choose between two right-wing candidates. The result is an election that is pure theater at a time when Haitians are still in the midst of a major humanitarian crisis and hundreds of millions of earthquake aid are hanging in the balance.”

For more information, contact at the Institute for Public Accuracy:
Sam Husseini, (202) 347-0020; or David Zupan, (541) 484-9167

Haiti: Return of Jean Claude Duvalier

EZILI DANTO
Danto is president of the Haitian Lawyers Leadership Network. She just wrote the piece “Obama’s change in Haiti: The Return of Jean Claude Duvalier.”

Danto states that Duvalier, a past dictator of Haiti, could not have been able to return without the cooperation of the U.S. and France. She notes that meanwhile, Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was democratically elected as president of Haiti, has not been able to return to Haiti. [Read more...]

Haiti One Year After the Earthquake

MELINDA MILESHaiti
Founder and director of Let Haiti Live, a project of TransAfrica Forum, Miles has been doing relief and advocacy work on Haiti for more than a decade. She said today: “One year after Haiti’s devastating earthquake, there are over 1 million IDP’s [internally displaced persons], over 3,600 have died from a cholera epidemic and women and girls remain highly vulnerable to rape and violence in IDP camps. Despite all this, only 38 percent of the $1.4 billion Americans donated for relief, and only 63.6 percent of $2.01 billion pledged by 55 top donor countries, has actually been spent. Less than 20,000 transitional shelters out of the year one goal of 125,000 have been built — among all NGOs and agencies combined. The next step for Haiti’s elections, meanwhile, remains in doubt following news of conflicting analyses of vote counts: while a leaked report by the Organization of American States suggests removing the government-backed candidate from the run-off, an independent analysis of all the vote tally sheets finds that it is impossible to determine who should advance to a second round. [Read more...]